We find that for the final essay, we are now only having to write on two cultures where before we were writing on four. Each essay will consist of writing on one culture, where the first paragraph opens the essay and presents to the reader my thesis. It also will connect any period concepts we will use and probably will still focus on one theme. However, I think that I will connect this theme into my thesis and write about that throughout the essay. This way I am writing about my understanding of the way of life of that culture, but I am at the same time describing the knowledge of my culture. Although there is no longer a required theme in the final essay, I find it will be easier for me if I stick to some theme that connects with my thesis. Although this particular theme will probably not be one of the three that we could pick from for the mid-term essay.
In the next three paragraphs, I will take a piece of literature, art, and music and connect this piece with the thesis. In these paragraphs, I will add much detail to show that I have a great understanding of that particular culture. This includes addressing the details of the piece, maybe the meaning of the piece, and analyzing the piece on a higher level. After these paragraphs, the final paragraph will conclude and combine what was talked about in the last three paragraphs. This includes talking about the connection of the thesis with the three disciplines. This just ties in and brings in the end of our essay.
When it comes to knowing what describes each period explicitly and the traits of each period, it seems that I have a bunch of work and studying to do. It is easy to see the differences between Islam and the other cultures as there are vast differences, and Islam is more of an understanding of how the people of a religion live, while the other cultures are an understanding of the people of that particular time period. Also I need to concentrate on what makes each culture particularly different from one another. The middle ages show many similarities, but there are obviously distinct differences between each period. I can start with the differences of the complexity of the lives of the humans living during that time period. However, there is a lot of work to do here before the final essay.
When it comes to picking the theme and the cultures on which I am going to write my final essay, it seems that I also have much work to do here as well. This is because of the above paragraph and not knowing the exact differences between the cultures. However, I think a good thing for me to write on would be the focus on the afterlife and the obligations people have during their lifetime to achieve their afterlife. This I think is a good theme for me because most of the pieces worship God in music, and there is also a large focus on Jesus and the last judgment in the artwork. However, we also see that there are distinct differences in each culture of their views of afterlife and what must be done during the people's lives. Bottom line is there is much preparation needed before the final essay.
No comments:
Post a Comment